This is my first post of the year – I know I’m getting into it a little late, but I’ve been racking my brains trying to think of what I should start the new decade with and mostly coming up with nada. My blog turns four this year (how crazy is that!) and I feel the need to refresh and rebrand a little bit to make my blog more of a reflection of who I am now, rather than who I was when I started it at 18.
For this reason I didn’t want to post something that was quick and didn’t excite me, but I haven’t had the time or resources to start creating the posts I’m hoping to this year. So, I thought I would share with you all the things I’m hoping to do more in 2020, including in my blog, to start the year off right.
I don’t want to make a list of goals for the year because I know I’ll be disappointed in myself if I haven’t achieved them come December. So instead I’ve decided to write a no-stress, easy-breezy list of things I want to do this year – and if I don’t get around to doing them all, who cares?
- Read more. I really got back into reading during the last half of 2019 (surprisingly, being an English Lit major leaves very little time for casual reading), and I just managed to reach my Goodreads goal of 30 books before New Year. This year I’ve set my goal to 35, so I’m really hoping to keep reading this year and find a bunch of new books that I love
- Take more photos. No, not just of myself – I really want to get better at taking photos just when I’m out and about to capture more memories. I actually got an Instax camera for Christmas which is the perfect tool for this, so I really have no excuse not to now.
- Be more creative. Kind of following on from the last one, I’m desperate to get creative again. I think I lost it a little towards the end of last year, so I’m hoping to make 2020 the year that I get a little crazy with my photos (including experimenting with the Instax!). You’ll find me perusing Pinterest for inspiration for the majority of this year, I’m sure.
- Get experimental with cooking. I’m not talking Heston-level, but I just want to take myself out of my comfort zone a little. Generally I find recipes I love and stick with them, but I’m determined to try out one new recipe a week to really broaden my knowledge. I just got a pasta maker so that will definitely be my starting point – and I’m hoping to share each new recipe I try too, so that will be one recipe a week for you guys!
- Save, save, save. I’m going on a very special trip this year (and believe me, you will be inundated with posts about it for the entire summer) and I really need to save up a lot so that I can ensure I make the most of my time there. I’m not awful at spending but I do tend to find myself buying too much too often, so I’m gonna try my hardest to break that habit this year.
- Get out and enjoy nature as much as possible. I love nature so much, nothing makes me feel more at peace than being outside and just admiring everything, but I don’t feel like I get outside enough. I want to get out and go for more walks and just be outside – hoping for some warmer weather though because that makes it much easier.
- Try not to sweat the small stuff. I’m a perfectionist – which is, unfortunately, far more of a curse than it is a blessing. I get very stressed about every little thing and it not being the best I can possibly do – or, more accurately, that my best won’t be good enough – and I’m so tired of it. I’ll finish my final year at uni this summer and then start my MA in the autumn and I’m aiming to do it all with as little stress as possible – at the end of the day all that really matters is family, health and happiness, so I’m going to try not to freak out quite so much.
So those are the things I hope to do more of in 2020! I hope you guys enjoyed this post, let me know in the comments what you’d like to do more this year. See you next time,